Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Monthly Review - October

My net worth increased by 3.1% in October.

The year to date increase is 30.6%.

The return on my investments was positive. Spending was low. Income was strong (although down a bit from last month). There were no negatives to report.

Here are the details:

1. my unit trusts appreciated in value during the month. Strong gains in emerging markets dominated the portfolio;

2. my residual share portfolio appreciated;

3. my investment in silver was up;

4. my tenants continued to pay the rent on time and rents continue to be higher than the expense component of the outgoings. The only negative here is the new flat which is now fully renovated but in need of a tenant (which may take a while in view of the fact that the building will be covered with scaffolding as the exterior renovation is undertaken over the next five months);

6. expenses were moderate. There were no large items;

7. my income was high (although less than last month).

The combined effect of the combined effect of the above resulted in a 3.1% increase in net worth at month end.The only investment activities undertaken during the month were regular monthly payments into two small cap investment funds.Looking ahead to November, I will have to finish paying for the fit out cost of the new property. I am contemplating buying a speculative put option on the Hang Seng Index.

No comments: