Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Vegemite Crisis

Amidst all the talk of soaring food prices and possible shortages, Hong Kong is currently experiencing its first genuine shortage of a basic food staple since the last out break of bird flu temporarily halted the importation of live poultry.

The SCMP reported that Hong Kong has run out of Vegemite. The cause of the shortage is reported to be a lack of product available for export from Australia (which I find hard to believe). Consumers of the yeast extract are currently being forced to either do without or fall back on Marmite (yuck!). The more enterprising types have been working the phones and arranging for friends and relatives travelling to Australia and New Zealand to purchase emergency supplies. As a consumer of the sticky black stuff, I will be doing the same.

I'm sure there has to be a business opportunity there somewhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It strikes me as funny that people cannot do without yeast extract! I know it is healthy and tasty (sorry I am a Marmite girl) but I am sure the Australians could spare just a little bit.

traineeinvestor said...

I'm sure they can too. In any case, I have arranged a personal shipment to arrive in late May.

Until then, I will have to make my last jar of Vegemite go a bt further. Fortunately, I am the only person in our house who likes it.