The last three months were a terrible time for my investments.
Net worth continued to fall on the back of falling stock markets with the losses being increased my adverse FX movements. Expenses were high as we moved homes (temporarily) and have mostly completed some renovations.
Here are the details:
1. my Hong Kong/China equity portfolio fell sharply. I added a few more shares in HSBC (HK:5) to the portfolio, attracted by the 6+% dividend yield;
2. my AU/NZ equities fell moderately. I purchased shares in Nine Entertainment (ASX:NEC) attracted by the 6+% dividend yield and the proposal to repurchase up to 20% of the outstanding issued shares which is currently being implemented;
3.my equity ETFs fell sharply (India, Vietnam, Hong Kong and China) in line with the local markets. There were no new purchases;
4. my commodities fell slightly. Silver is my only position;
5. all tenants are paying on time. We are currently living in one of our rental units while our primary home undergoes some long overdue redecoration. It will be back on the market next week;
6. currency movements were negative with the NZD and the AUD falling;
7. my position in bonds remains small;
8. expenses were very high as we have paid for our second round of moving costs and the second and third instalments on our home renovation project;
9.there were no transfers to Mrs Traineeinvestor this month.
My cash position fell. I currently hold 33.7 months of expenses in HKD cash or equivalents.
For July, August and September, my net worth fell by 2.4%, 6.3% and 0.65% respectively. The year to date decrease is 6.11%.