Saturday, January 02, 2016

Financial Review - November and December, 2015

November resulted in a small loss and December in a small gain in net worth, in both cases largely as a result of fluctuations in equity markets.

Here are the details:

1. my Hong Kong/China equity portfolio fell in both November and December;

2. my AU/NZ equities appreciated moderately. I sold my shares in Nufarm (ASX:NUF) and purchased shares in Lend Lease (ASX: LLC);

3.my equity ETFs fell slightly (India, Vietnam, Hong Kong and China) in line with the local markets. There were no new purchases;

4. my commodities fell slightly. Silver is my only position;

5. all tenants are paying on time. We are back to full occupancy. The US rate rise has had no impact on Hong Kong mortgage rates;

6. currency movements were positive with the NZD and the AUD rising against the HKD/USD;

7. my position in bonds remains small;

8. expenses were moderate with a small holiday and some tax bills (all provided for) making an impact in cash flow;

9.there were no transfers to Mrs Traineeinvestor this month.

My cash position improved due to a lot of dividends being paid in November and December. I currently hold 34.8 months of expenses in HKD cash or equivalents. 

For November, my net worth fell by 0.98%.  For December it increased by 0.25%. The year to date decrease is 2.14%. FWIW, the amount of the decrease is slightly less than my expenditure for the year (excluding principle component of our home mortgage).

In once sense, it is disappointing to end the year with a loss. However, the fact that incurring a loss did not impact my retirement and only impacted my "if I ever made a lot of money wish list" was reassuring.

Full year end wrap-up on the household balance sheet will be done once a few stray numbers come in.

No comments: