Monday, May 15, 2006

Property purchase update #2

I signed the formal Sale and Purchase Agreement today. It is a standard form document prepared by the vendor's solicitors which, unsurprisingly, is very one sided in favour of the vendor. This is a situation which I find very odd but it is the market practice for conveyancing here in Hong Kong. At this stage most of the risk of owning the property is effectively on me as the purchaser.

DBS has accepted that my wife will not need to give a guarantee. I have in any case signed the documents to convert the company into one shareholder/one director company so I will not have to deal with this request in the future.

The next issue to consider is whether I should redecorate the apartment before I rent it out or not. Instinct suggests that I should but I need to sit down and work through some numbers before making a decision.

No comments: