My net worth increased by 3.1% in February.
This was a big and surprising result. I had expected a much smaller increase after watching the markets fall in the last few days of the month. Here are the highlights:
1. most of my funds actually ended the month higher than they started. Even though there were losses in the last few days, the gains made before Chinese New Year were greater;
2. I continued to dollar cost average into Asian and European small companies funds;
3. I made no other investments;
4. I received a nice boost to my work related income (business has been good recently);
5. I have fully provided for tax, our next holiday and some minor repair work on one of my properties;
6. my investment in silver did very well;
7. my balance sheet is kept in Hong Kong dollars (which is pegged to the US$). Currency movements where in my favour this month and made a major contribution to the increase in net worth.
So far the year is off to a very good start.
(1) I mistakenly published a draft before month end which did not reflect the changes to asset values on the last day of the month. The result was a small downward adjustment to the increase for the month from 3.2% to 3.1% (very close to January's increase);
(2) properties have not been revalued for some time and the values shown in the balance sheet do not represent current values. I have no plans to sell, so see no need to "guess" at current values.