Thursday, August 02, 2007

An Insurance Claim (1)

Well this just sucks.

My wine fridge died on me on Sunday. The firm that supplied the warranty has gone out of business (which probably explains why it was so cheap) so I had to find another company to come and have a look at it. Unfortunately, this took two days. Some of the wiring has fused and the compressor has broken. The cost of repair would be about the same as the cost of a new one. It would also take a few weeks.

With my wine sitting in the Hong Kong heat (and experiencing accelerated aging) I want to get the collection back into a better temperature controlled environment as soon as possible. So today I bit the bullet and ordered a new one. I'm hoping it will be delivered on the weekend.

I've put in the insurance claim and am waiting for the inevitable dispute over the cost of the replacement.

What I don't know (and won't know until I start taking corks out of bottles) is whether a week of high temperatures will damage the wines. I'll open a couple of bottles on the weekend and see if they are ok.

No comments: