Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Financial Review - September 2013

September was an excellent month for my investments. Net worth increased meaningfully. High income produced excellent savings and the principal component of my mortgage repayments combined with solid gains on my equities and appreciation of the AUD and NZD more than offset the decline in my commodities.

Here are the details:

1. my Hong Kong equity portfolio appreciated. During the month, I purchased I opened a substantial position in Swire Pacific (HK:19) and added a few more shares in Henderson Land (HK:12) through the dividend reinvestment. I hold shares in CMR which is currently suspended following an attack by a short seller alleging fraud. I am currently assuming a 100% loss on this position;

2. my AU/NZ equities appreciated slightly. This gain is understated as some companies went ex dividend during the month but I have yet to receive the dividends;

3.my ETFs increased in line with the local markets. There were no new purchases;

4. my commodities fell. Silver is my only position;

5. all of my properties were occupied with all tenants paying on time. There were only minor repair bills this month. Unfortunately, two buildings have received notices for a mandatory window inspection - I am hoping that I will not have to replace any windows. One property is now debt free;

6. currency movements were positive, with gains in both the NZD and the AUD;

7. my position in bonds remains small;

8.I have no open derivative positions;

9. savings were high with high income and moderate expenses;

10. there was a small transfer to Mrs Traineeinvestor this month.

My cash position fell due to the new investment in Swire Pacific. I currently hold 54.92 months of expenses in HKD cash or equivalents. This is above my target floor of 24 months.

For the one month period, my net worth rose by 4.00%. The year to date increase is 11.25%. This means that my mark-to-market investments have appreciated this year.

I retired on 30 September, 2013 (separate post to follow).

No comments: