Friday, February 29, 2008

Two Commodities Purchased

I have made two further investments in commodities:

1. platinum: made through a notional precious metals account (being the lowest cost/lowest spread option);

2. nickel: made through purchasing the LSE listed ETC (stock code "NICK").

Both of these are investments in commodities which are expected to be in deficit - that is supply will not meet demand in 2008. Both also have the possibility of continued or recommenced disruption to supply. In the case of platinum, South Africa's power shortage is the main risk to supply. In the case of nickel, industrial action (which is happening at one BHP mine at the moment) and political issues are the main risks to supply.

My investment in lean hogs (HOGS) is currently showing a loss of about 9%. This is getting close to the point where I should consider cutting my losses. I have not set a formal loss cutting point, but around 10 - 15% seems sensible.

Lastly, an attempt to pick up some more Lyxor commodities ETF this week failed when the price continued to rise above my limit. With the benefit of hindsight, I would have been better off buying at market.

No comments: